How can a Personal Injury Attorney Help My Case?
If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you probably have a lot of questions on your mind right now. One of them is probably, “Do I need a personal injury attorney?” and, “How can a lawyer help my case?”
If you are not sure whether you should hire an attorney or handle your personal injury case on your own, read the following information to find out how a lawyer could help your case.
What can a Personal Injury Attorney do for Your Case?
Being represented by an experienced personal injury attorney can make a big difference to the outcome of your case in Florida. Here’s how a lawyer can help your case:
- Providing valuable legal advice. This is probably your first time dealing with a situation of this kind. Your lawyer, however, has handled dozens or hundreds of cases similar to yours. A personal injury attorney can help you navigate the legal system and provide legal advice.
- Explaining your legal rights. A knowledgeable lawyer will be able to explain your legal rights even during a free phone consultation. After reviewing your particular circumstances, a personal injury attorney will explain what you can and cannot do in your case.
- Documenting and evaluating your damages. Your personal injury attorney will help you document, prove, and evaluate your economic and non-economic damages caused by the other party’s negligence.
- Identifying liable parties and proving their fault. A skilled lawyer will be able to identify all liable parties in your case and help you find evidence to prove their fault.
- Challenging your level of fault. Under the Florida Statutes Section 768.81, Florida is a pure comparative negligence state, which means your compensation can be reduced in proportion to your degree of fault. Insurance companies use the comparative negligence rule to limit compensation and pay victims as little as possible. A knowledgeable lawyer will launch an independent investigation to dispute your partial fault and maximize the value of your claim.
- Handling all communications and negotiations on your behalf. If you were involved in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you would have to communicate with your insurance company, the at-fault party, and even their insurer to resolve your claim. Since insurers use various manipulative tactics to use victims’ statements against them, it is advised to let an experienced lawyer handle all communications and negotiations for you.
- Complying with all deadlines and procedures. Your personal injury lawyer will keep an eye on all the deadlines and procedural requirements in your case and make sure that all documents are filed properly and in a timely manner. Missing deadlines could cause you to lose your right to recover damages.
- Representing you in court. While the vast majority of personal injury cases never go to trial, sometimes going to court is the only option to seek fair compensation for your injuries and damages. For this reason, you need to make sure that your lawyer is a strong trial attorney who will present your case in the most convincing manner to get the compensation you deserve.
If you are still wondering how a lawyer can help your case, schedule a free consultation with our Ponca City personal injury attorneys at Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker, to find out more details. Call 580.765.9660 to get a case review.